Protein mug cakes are ace! They require minimal effort to make, they can be so diverse and they are the perfect snack or dessert. They taste so indulgent, yet they’re super healthy and guilt free. What more could you want in a dessert? They are a great protein source for those of you wanting to up your protein intake and make a nice change from the usual meat and eggs!
Here’s our personal favourite recipe:
- Grab a mug! (the bigger the better as more mug = more cake!)
- Add a scoop of your favourite protein powder
- Add a scoop of your favourite flour: standard self raising flour/ almond flour/ any other gluten free flour
- Mix in one whole egg and a pinch of baking powder
- Add approximately 2 tablespoons of liquid, either water or milk of your choice, until it has the consistency of a batter
- If you want to make things really exciting, you could add some chucks of your favourite chocolate into the cake, or a chopped up quest bar thrown in tastes insane! If you want to go fruity, half a mashed banana or a handful of raspberries is also great!
- Stir well and microwave for one minute… keep an eye on it in case it starts to rise too high!
- Finish with some yummy toppings…such as nut butters, cacao nibs, fruit or greek yogurt.
- Tuck in, enjoy and lick the plate clean!
A few supplement companies also sell protein mug cake mixes in a variety of flavours which you simply just add water or milk to. These are perfectly fine too and great for those of you who want an even simpler mug cake. We’ve tried and tested The Protein Works one and it is FAB (with lots of nut butter on top of course!).
Happy mug caking!